Thursday, March 27, 2014

March Madness Week #4/Thinking Outside the Box

Recently I traveled to the UK and taught a Dreamweaver Stencils teacher's certification course to store owners and teachers. Nina Lavelle (who owns a store called Creativity and Crafts in Eastbourne England) emailed me her final project a few days ago and I was amazed at how "outside the box" her creation was. She used the Molten Magic technique and a stencil design called Vintage Decor (LX7022). Suddenly she had turned this very traditional stencil design into a "bug" for a get well card. I asked her if I could share her tutorial on our March Madness posting and she generously allowed me to do so....here it is:


Along the edge of the card it reads...

"Hear You Have A Bug"...cute idea Nina. 

The Molten Magic technique is quite simple. You can use any of the glossy embossing pastes and Nina used the Glossy Black Embossing Paste (DGKP).

Start by taping off all of the edges of the stencil when you paste-emboss. This ensures that none of the paste will go under of off the edges of the stencil. I like to impress people that the first piece of tape that you put down should be your "hinge" and that way your stencil won't smear the image as you remove the tape.


When I paste a very large stencil I like to use the paste spreader but I use the regular palette knife to pull the paste out of the jar. 







The Metallic F/X powders are kept handy and after the stencil is removed the "bug is sprinkled with two or three different colors of these mica powders.You can apply them with a stencil brush for a fine sprinkling or if you want to be more generous you can use a small scoop to add the colors. Work quickly because the paste needs to be wet for the powders to attach. Next tap off the excess powders. Now take a heat gun that heats very hot and start by heating the image underneath and then on top of the image. The thinner you have pasted the smaller the bubbles. If the paste-embossing is very thick your bubble may need to be tapped down with your fingers once it has cooled a bit. This will keep them from breaking or getting brittle.



Some of the new Dreamweaver die cut leaves (DD003) were cut out of crumpled brown paper and added as an embellishment to the creation on the left side of the card. Then the "bug" was cut out and added as well. It looks like some type of beetle that you would find amongst the leaves of the ground in a forest.





Such a fun card: Here is the final result!
Please join the fun...we have one more week of our March Madness ...anything goes! There will be three random winners chosen this month! If you need to know how to link up with the linky tool click HERE for more information. Don't forget to follow the list below to see what the team has posted this week. Leave them some love in the way of helpful generous comments and you could be our forth random winner this month. These winners are announced the first week of the next month's challenge right here on the Dream it UP blog.








11 comments:

Janeen said...

what a very unique idea. he indeed looks like one of those shiny beetles that i despise.
Forgot to mention in my last comment Lynell; Thank you for the wonderful card you sent along with the stencil I won. I have won things from many companies over the years and i have never received a hand made card along with the winnings. It was beautiful and I really do appreciate it. Thanks again.

Linsey R said...

Ooooo SO many wonderful techniques! What a gorgeous project. I don't own any Dreamweaver products but I am very inspired to try new things just from this challenge alone yay--I love that! What a great challenge blog! I'm new and looking forward to more fun challenges, this one was fantastic--I thought outside the box and enjoyed every grungy, messy minute of it hehe :) Thanks for the fun and inspiration!

Unknown said...

What a brilliant idea for the Vintage Décor stencil. So creative and out of the box. I love it!
Christina A Maze of Memories (UK)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
rose s. said...

the bug really looks beautiful - I can only imagine how amazing it must look with the metallics in real life :)

Louise said...

Wow Nina, this is amazing! So creative and beautiful !

Amante del Papel said...

wow is really amazing card, the technique is so awesome!

Jennifer Scull said...

this is my first time to play in one of your challenges. this is such a gorgeous card you have featured! hope to be back more often! :)

Leanne said...

Love the card you've featured. The bug looks amazing. Thanks for the inspiration along the hop & I hope to get mad & link up. Still two days to go.

Katie said...

Awesome hop! I am a little late to March Madness as I am new to using dreamweaver products and just found your blog. I am not sure if I will have time to make a card for the challenge, hopefully there will be more to come. I love this bug idea, so creative and the colors achieved are wonderful! Thanks for sharing.

Katie B.

snazzyjj said...

Love the bug and the technique!

Post a Comment