Tuesday, July 8, 2014

For My Mom/Make a Wish

This card is dedicated to my Mom and Dad for more than one reason. First of all Mom loves the color purple in all of it's shades and secondly as I write this... it is just one year since my Dad passed. She has a strong faith, so I know the desires of her heart will come to pass. 

I mentioned a couple of days ago when I did a video for my blog post that the easiest way to do the double glitter was to do the glitter in just two colors, one for the detail work and one color for the background. However, I didn't have time to show everything I wanted to show you or the video would have been too long. If you want to see the video scroll back a couple of days to July 5 and watch the YouTube video on my blog. In it I showed the more detailed process of how to use more than one color on the detail work of the double glitter technique. 

Today I thought I would show you an example of a creation that is quite simple. The double glitter technique here is a bit different and has one step that I mentioned, but didn't take time to describe. I used a piece of dark blue card as a supportive base card and instead of the usual white core mounting sticky paper that we sell, I used a clear sticky paper. This is because my background glitter was a transparent blue glitter and anything behind it...the supporting paper or the white core sticky paper would have shown through the transparent blue glitter and the end result would have been a pale purple, and of course you wouldn't have had enough contrast. By using a clear sticky paper and a supporting blue colored cardstock the periwinkle blue glitter color in the background really made the white gold fireworks show up. Remember that most of the sticky papers on the market are extra sticky...so don't forget to use your soap (DHHS) as a release agent. This will keep your stencil from getting bent or ruined.
StriƩ is a technique that in French means striping


The Tree line die (DG745) was cut from a pearlescent white card stock. Then I used a large 1/2" Natural Handle Stencil Brush (NHB1/2") and loaded it with Brilliance Periwinkle colored ink. This was then brushed across the Tree Line die cut. I did the StriĆ© technique all the way around the die cut for the streaked effect you see here. The result was glowing periwinkle blue trees in a night of beautiful fireworks. The make a wish sentiment came from the LG704 Birthday words stencil. I cut the oval from the smallest nested oval (DD004), then I positioned the sentiment over it and paste-embossed it with Dreamweaver Gold Embossing Paste (DGP). After removing the stencil I sprinkled the wet paste with white gold ultrafine glitter which was also used on the fireworks stencil (LJ886). 

If you have questions leave a comment...and leave a comment if you would like to win this beautiful die. Commenting each day will qualify you to be one of the random winners chosen on Thursday. Until Thursday I will be creating with this die in a variety of ways. I am new to die cutting and if you are too, leave your questions in the comment section and if I don't know the answer I will find someone who does.

We would also love to have you join our challenge...this month it's using our dies and stencils...but if you aren't fortunate to have any of ours we would love to see what you are creating with any die and stencil.

9 comments:

Katie said...

Beautiful card! I love how the stripping technique makes the trees look illuminated. The double glitter is really pretty! Beautiful work. :) Thanks for sharing.

Katie B.

Jade said...

I'm sorry to read about your dad, Lynell. Thank you for sharing another aspect of the double glitter technique using clear sticky backing for transparent glitter.

Miriam Prantner said...

Another beautiful tree line card! Love that glittered background!

Janice K said...

A striking card with a lovely glittered background. I'm sure your mother will appreciate the gesture, we may lose our loved ones but at least we can keep all the wonderful memories of them. x

CreativeJanine said...

I'm sure your mom will love the card, as do I.

Carol McCready said...

Beautiful card. Love the gold. So sorry the hear about your Dad.

Holly said...

Very pretty look. The technique and colours make a beautiful card.

Sandi Lou said...

Love the look of the strie, it adds dimension to the trees. And thank you for the tip re: sticky paper.

Katia said...

beautiful card, amazing challengue!

Post a Comment

Blog Archive