Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Zensdays with Lynell and Wayne #7

Happy Holidays everyone! Today is another mixture of Wayne collaborating with me on the art form of Zentangle. The diva, Laura Harms has issued Challenge #198 and is going back four years to her first challenge ever. She called her #1 challenge "KISS"...which stands for Keep it Simple "Silly"!  Read about her first challenge and see how some of the other Zentangle enthusiasts/artists have interpreted the challenge by clicking HERE. My interpretation of the challenge went the gamut....I have loved the zentangle pattern called Trentwith for a long time and never really ever tried it, so I decided today was the day. Last week David Hunter used it in the center of his arukas challenge tile and I LOVED what he did so I had that added inspiration to go forward with Trentwith...if you want to see his creation from last week click HERE. I used it in the corner of my challenge piece today and added my own variation of the pattern Hached....then went nuts with our ancient Prismacolor pencils. Guess I need to tell Santa I need more colors. I thought this was the "simple" part of the challenge for me...because I literally scribbled away and it went really quickly. It's fun to do a challenge where you can interpret it a gazillion different ways. If you want to see Wayne's interpretation of the KISS challenge click HERE to view his tile on his flickr site. As per usual it's an UNBELIEVABLE creation...it wouldn't be simple for me, but everyone interprets simple differently, silly!!!

Wayne and I also did another quilt design with Trentwith. I did the Trentwith 'roses' and he did the ivy/holly leaves, this will eventually get made into our Christmas cards. If you are interested in knowing more about how to do the tangle patterns  called Trentwith or Hached step-by-step click HERE to go to tanglepatterns.com. Trentwith was a pattern designed by Terri Greenberg. I used the LJ812 metal stencil to trace the grid pattern and the coloring was a combination of pink and pale green Prismacolor pencils then shaded with LePlume permanent alcohol based ink markers using a darker pink and green.





Then our last creation was Wayne's ZIA work using Hollibaugh on the small nested ornament die (DG674) cut out of plain white card stock...it's a variation to look like candy canes and the larger nested ornament die is done with pea-nuckle. How he does it so evenly I'll never know. I put the card together and violà another card ready for the Christmas mail. The dream stencil is paste embossed with glossy white paste and then sprinkled with red glitter.

19 comments:

Unknown said...

Such wonderful and unique creations. I tried drawing your Zentangle from last week and really enjoyed it - thanks for this weeks ideas!

ionabunny said...

Gorgeous. Love the roses and the ornaments. I always get my shading wrong. Love the purple/green/blue shades you used on your piece. Hugz

Anonymous said...

Three beautiful pieces. I love the combination of tangles in the first and the color. The second quilt with the roses and ivy is lovely, and I really like the candy cane Hollibaugh!

Suzanne Fluhr said...

These are all beautiful. I'm very impressed with the 3 dimensions you achieved with the last one by simply shading the bows. Thanks for reading my Hawaii blog posts. We are really missing Hawaii this winter!

rose s. said...

they are beautiful - i love the sun but i am partial to sun images. wow - they are all just amazing.

HeidiSue said...

this is delightful! The colors in your diva challenge entry are soothing and harmonious, and your chosen patterns are complementary. Eye pleasing! But I must say, your peppermint ornaments...that hollibaugh...I know what it would feel like to hold it in my hand...and then lick it! ha!

because, Peppermint sticks? Yum!

Viki Banaszak said...

Wow! You do such great work together. I love the ornaments.

Anne's tangle blog said...

Very beautiful! Happy Holidays to you and Wayne!!!

Unknown said...

Seasonal and simple. Very nice use of colors to make us all head fot the peppermint sticks. Have a Happy Holiday!

Liese Zentangle, Doodle, Basteln, said...

Sehr schöne Fliesen
Ich wünsche schöne Weihnachten und ein schönes Neues Jahr

Unknown said...

Beautiful tiles - I like your roses so much :-)
I wish you a merry christmas !!!

bmlilith60 said...

Beautiful work. Like the ornaments using Hollibaugh and Pea-Nuckle to look like candy canes.

Anonymous said...

What an amazingly creative team you are!. All your work makes my fingers itch to give it a try, so, thank you for this, may your Christmas be a Merry one and I wish you all good things in the New Year.

Dragonfly-Artz said...

All are just beautiful. Have a wonderful holiday season and a Happy New Year.

Tangles and More said...

All are great. I like the Pea-knuckle ornament. Not sure I would have the patience to color it as you did. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and Wayne.

lilystangles said...

All three are beatiful :)

Chrissie Frampton said...

Beautiful, I really like your christmas baubles.

David Hunter said...

An other Beautiful Post, Lynell. Love your Diva Challenge Tile. Wonderful design and your colonization turned out wonderfully. Love the quilt design you and Wayne designed. It would make a fabulous quilt. The receiver of the Christmas Card you and Wayne created, will be receiving will become a true family heirloom. Beautiful work.

dianeclancy said...

Lyndell and Wayne, these are beautiful!! :) :)
~ Diane Clancy
http://www.dianeclancy.com/blog/2014/12/diva-k-s-s-keep-simple-silly-challenge-entry

Post a Comment

Blog Archive